Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Forgot your password?

Error message here!

Error message here!

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Error message here!

Back to log-in

Passive Butane Extraction and Recovery

Lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All ya'll that have been watching our Passive Butane Extraction and Recovery thread,  at: /passive-butane-extractor-and-reclaimer/ here is some exciting breaking news! I just learned that Glacier Tank has some 6″ diameter X 6″ long sanitary spools due in this month, which you could make a tank out of just by using another end plate and a clamp for the bottom. The only welding would be for the plumbing fittings. Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort!!!!!!!!!! GW

About The Author

Profile photo of skunkpharmresearch

This is the head cheese's account

Related posts

0 Comments

1. What Are CO2 Dabs aka Solventless Concentrates?

[…] several ways to make dabs without butane or solventless wax. Butane and other hydrocarbon extractions require lots of equipment to do it right and can be quite […]

2. Meduser

How often does skunk pharms test for resdiual solvents? Do you have any results on here? I cant find them Are butane extracts currently legal in oregon?

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Butane extracts are currently legal in Oregon and have been for over a decade. Recently the rules were changed to require a licensed extraction lab, and for material going to the public, to be tested by a certified lab. How often we check for residual solvents on our own GC, depends on what experiments we are running and what we are researching. We are a public information company, that doesn't supply any concentrates to the cannabis market place, but Eloquent Solution and Pharmer Joe both run their own companies supplying extraction and processing services to the cannabis marketplace, and 100% of the batches going out are tested for content, residual solvent, mold, and pesticide by a certified third party lab, as required by OR law. Here is a link to a typical report: https://skunkpharmresearch.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/residual-solvent-scan.pdf. GW

1. Patel

Thats nice to hear. It would be nicer to see the shared public information more strongly urge the importance of testing every batch. So many just rely on this tech and assume there stuff is ok. I work at a testing facility with micologist biologist organic chemist and a psycian on staff. Im none of these, just a student. But Famous last words of a guy dropping off a dirty sample "Oh i know its clean i use the same tech as this company thats been doing it for like 5 years and there stuff is clean so mine has to be"

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

With legalization comes regulation, and I've watched the quality of the concentrates available to the public through "legal" sources improve dramatically with testing. For instance, I can remember being a judge in a major national concentrate cup, and having a surprising number of the paid entries fall out when tested for residual solvents, prior to regulations making testing mandatory. What was perhaps more revealing, was an expose of the number of samples failing for pesticide residue and mold and most revealing how much difference there was in the analysis of the same material by competing labs. Enough so of the later, for regulation to appear governing cannabis labs. A clear case for knowing the history of your material, pre-distilling the butane to pro actively remove the heavier, harder to post-purge hydrocarbons, and a controlled process, as well as picking your lab carefully. Here is a typical residual solvent scan. https://skunkpharmresearch.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/residual-solvent.pdf GW

1. Patel

Yes. If only the do it yourselfer followed such strict guidelines. Or at least washed their hands. Had a guy recenlty with 90ppm acetone in his product. Come to find out he was cleaning with it and not washing his hands or rinsing his equipment. We have found many of our clients were suprised to learn how difficult it is to completly remove butane. And cuticle wax. We are privy to clinical study that is not on google search.We have seen many give it up and seek other methods.Coming state regulation is going to require 0 residual solvents in this class. Unfortunatley this failed extract only ends up on the street. No dispensary can sell it.

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Might you share the clinical studies not available to the rest of us? A tricky slope, because we've seen acetone called out in material that was never anywhere near acetone, but was contaminated by the lab procedure. GW

2. Patel

Clinical studies are not shared publicly on google. There often tens of thousnds of pages. Our office spends thousands a year subscribing to medical journals and clinical reports Honestly you would have to be a dr to be able to read them. Dont waste your money.lol We also work witg state and federal law enforcment. They all say cannabis will never be legal until they get all its dirivitives under control. Such as bho. Its a major health concern. Butane is harming the integrity of cannabis as a medicine and a recreational drug

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

I didn't expect a Google link, but the name of the study and author, so we can use our resources to look it up. It requires a doctor to read or understand them, and yet you have and do? What is your doctorate in? Looks like your Ironlabs.com address is a software company, vesus Ironlabratories.com which is the cannabis lab. Which one can I reach you at? GW

3. Patel

Sounds like you need to fire that test facility.lol Acetone from a hardware store is loaded with impurities that will show up as residuals. Histological grade is all that should be used in a lab. I was amazed to learn how easily cross contamination can occur days weeks or months after exposure. but thats what they all say. " but i dont even use _____, dont even have it in my work area." Remember that time you wore that shirt to Sorry i read your test you posted incorrecly. When our test say n/d that just means it hasnt been determined yet. Residual test take a long time. Every one of 64 possible contamanates has to be screened for individually. Like i said i am not a doctor or a scientist but i work with some great ones Nice work, Keep up the good testing!

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

The ranks of labs thinned some when the labs producing the lowest cannabinoid numbers and kicking out contaminated lots dropped out, because all the customers went to the labs that gave them the best results. The next fall out was when certification requirements reared its ugly head. That part is still sorting itself out. We have our own GC, which we use for our own tracking purposes, but without fail use an outside lab who also has a HPLC and a MS after both of them, for important analysis. Once I learned how to run our GC, as well as what the variables are, and saw how much variation I can get sample to sample, I knew enough to know some things are best left to the professionals with all the high priced toys. ND on our reports means None Detected, or Measured value below Limit of Qualification. It doesn't necessarily mean zero, in this case just typically at least in the Parts Per Billionth range. GW

4. Winter

I’m really impressed with your writing talents and also with the format in your weblog. Keep up the nice high quality writing, it;2&#178s rare to see a nice blog like this one today.

3. Peter

How many lbs. of butane should I be using with a 12" base and a 2.5lb column in an active closed loop system. I can charge and recover simultaneously. I just got a 50lb tank and I don't want to over do it.

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Could you be more specific regarding the nonsense? What is wrong, and what is the correct answer? Calling the input nonsense, and alluding to greed as a motive on a free public information site, with no supporting data, says loads more about you than the site. If you have something useful to add, please do. If not, you waste all of our time. GW

4. Keith Kawano

@stephen my vacume oven pump purges it at -29 to -30 . I left it today at my hosue wither fan and windows open I won't be back for 8 hours you think this will help . How can I hard it up at this point where it sticky and gooey I just want it to get hard . Thanks I appreciated it

5. stephen

@Keith Kawano, try raising ur temp from 96 to 110. the consistency could be a couple things TBH, size of screen you used, how you blasted, etc. don't exceed 120 though. and your vac needs to be -25 or better if u really want to clear up your extract. every 2 hours for the first 6hrs try fresh air flushes as well. GL and happy blasting :D

6. Keith Kawano

I have some material that I blasted bho but it really oily and sticky from good fresh trim . I have a vacum oven from across international I put in there at 96.0 it still gooey and killing and sticky I wonder what I have to do from here maybe it moist in the wax ?! . I want it to get hard like wax or shatter at this point I have it drying in my house with a fan. Any help from this point on

1. Indra

put it ethanol, wait till the white stuff is on top, pour this part off. discard it, its the wax,wax will come out then dry the remainder it in vac oven and it will become rock candy.

7. Philip Wolf

Thanks for the reply. Completely agree with your assessment. It is the prohibitive cost of scCO2. I've managed to produce a SuperCritical CO2 Oil Extraction Unit costing $1,150. I don't think scCO2 extraction device can get lower in cost than that. Go to KICKSTARTER.com Search: "SuperCritical"

1. Stephen Nichols

true. ill have to think about switching. when I finally did buy a system quite a while ago, I was stuck in my ways and went with butane. :l On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Skunk Pharm Research LLC wrote: > Philip Wolf commented: "Why butane? Why not SuperCritical CO2 ?" >

1. Indra

to start with supercritical CO2 is a lousy solvent and only drive the oil out by pressure. leaving the good parts behind, did I mention it is also a danger? pressures run way to high.

1. dsmluck

Nonsense. Supercritical CO2 is a great solvent. You can actually modulate the polarity by manipulating the pressure. Lower pressure ScCO2 extraction are less polar and higher pressure extractions become more polar. Only people who don't understand the science behind the technology think it sucks. Kinda hard to justify spending over $100k on an extractor when you have no clue what you are doing or how to method develop.

2. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

You could summarize it by saying it is more difficult and costly to produce the range of products that the market demands with SCFE CO2, both from an equipment purchase and operating stand point, as well as labor costs and skill level required to produce things like aromatic shatters GW

1. Stephen Nichols

dayum, 48 hours. try this, scrape your oil onto your slick, try not to over spread, then put on hot plate 125f-130f for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles start to rise and dissipate slightly. next put it into your purge without a vac, set on hot plate for 15 minutes or so, constant checking temp, should b around 110-115 in purge chamber. Once ur temp is reached in purge, pull a full vac, let sit on hot plate, or at 110-115 in purge oven for 20-30 minutes. Vent oven and open/pull lid off chamber venting for bout 30 seconds, re checking temp, re pull a full vac and let sit for another 20-30. Most strains of mine will fully purge within 2-3 "burping's" with a 2-3 hour "air dry" after as well, peeling oil off slick and putting on appropriate slick. for snap-pull snap quality. :D On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:06 PM, Skunk Pharm Research LLC wrote: > Keith commented: "Hi I'm going to use a oven with purge can you tell me > what is the best temp for muffing and the next 48 hours ." >

8. Samh

This is a more industrial solution but head on over to www.rootsciences.com for a closer look at BHO extraction short path evaporators.

9. Phil Wolf

Care to have a conversation about SuperCritical CO2 Trying to get the word out about Kickstarter Kickstarter.com , search "SuperCritical" Thanks

10. Philip Wolf

Great info. Being a chemistry Nazi - I gotta say .... gasoline is 8 , OCTANE. On the gas-pumps you see an octane rating. Still, wonderful writing. Whatcha thinking about SuperCritical CO2 ?? Please go to Kickstarter.com, search "supercritical" Can I get a tabletop scCO2 apparatus into your hands in exchange for getting the word out??

1. Nero

Actually, I believe the octane rating scale uses trimethylpentane (a.k.a. isohectane)as the standard for 100 octane. Many of these isomers have names that don't exactly reflect the number of carbon atoms, functional groups sometimes considered independent of main chain structure. Good article, gracias.

11. How To Cut Bho With Glycerin | Insurance-Golds

[…] BHO Extraction | Skunk Pharm Research LLC – Butane Honey Oil, or BHO, is the essential oil from the cannabis plant, extracted using Butane as a solvent. It can be extracted from fresh material or from cured … […]

12. FishmanK

From your experience and with hindsight, do you think a 6"x6" spool is enough collection chamber for a first extractor? Would getting a 6" by 10 or 12" collection chamber be worthwhile in versatility for the slightly higher cost?

13. FishmanK

Well, I fell right into it! Thinking I could make a closed-loop system better and at less cost from on-line parts... I now have a couple of great designs for awesome Cadillacs that are way too rich for me to drive as my first BHO Ride! Soooo... back to the drawing board. I'm thinking to do the simplest system off a 6x6" sleeve chamber and 1.5" column. and just workin with it to get going. My Question Is: There is a great buy on a 10 Litre Stainless flask I found and am wondering if havng extra volume would work for or against me in a passive-recovery environment to use an over-sized recovery tank (that I would want to run with only a litre or so of solvent). I can't decide if, beyond the obvious need for more ice/cooling etc, the effects would give me more pulling power or less...

1. FishmanK

I have a design that's around $1100 from auction parts that's got more options than the $1700 base line models most companies are making. So I met my goal, but the bottom line is still so much more than what GW spent with the Lil Terp project, Im not as sure now one can get a system together from pre-fab parts for a decent value. Being daunted by the machining and welding aspects of having a system made like the MKIII or Lil Terp, I feel it was time well-spent for the educational aspects but I am still not ready to purchase parts. I assumed eBay auctions would be cheaper than sites like glaciertanks, but already see in comparing just a few parts a significantly better value at Glacier.

2. FishmanK

In re-reading my post I realize I didn't clearly state my intent, to try to build my own system from pre-fab parts for less than the commercial units starting at $1700. In no way did I or would I purposely infer that I thought I could do better than whats been presented on this site for less money, which would be rude and I may unintentionally have left open the perception that I meant that in my opening remark... My apologies for my vague language choices.

1. Stephen

Check out best value vacs, they have a lot of choices at fair prices. Also, their kit packages come fully tested. As well as good customer service, they were willing to work on the price when I bought a kit with a few add ons. Def worth calling if u decide to place an order. Hope this helps, happy new year and happy extracting =D

1. FishmanK

"Best Value Vacs" do indeed have some good values to be had, especially the dewaxers (jacketed spools which have a 3" jacket clearance instead of 1" like most others). However, their $1450 intro 1# model is VERY basic their $1850 is where I see they start a sight glass as standard, but have gone back to a 6"x6" chamber and recovery tank. Add to that everything is offered in single-pin clamps... (I'm thinking about running a dewaxer filled with heavy media and wanting to fasten the collection tank and at least 1/2 the column with high-pressure fittings for safety). I have looked a lot at Best Value and agree with you about them having fair prices.

14. Stephen

Holy specific. I currently use passive closed loop extract method, Best value vacs, but plan to upgrade to active soon. Have been messing with extract since 09 here in Michigan. Only until just recently have i had tremendous results. I appreciate all the insight. U offer the kind of knowledge most people would pay for. Thank you #GrowDirt

1. skunkpharmresearch

Yes you can safely extract fresh frozen flowers in a closed loop system, using subzero butane, so that water pickup is low. Extracting cold and recovering with minimal recovery pot heat produces different vacuum pressures, as well as recovery times, versus running at ambient or with a hot recovery pot, so the answer is probably yes.

15. Cameron

Public service announcement.......... i currently made some oil/wax concentrate with the 91% iso method. I used mostly seeds and stems. The turn out was amazing but the only issue i have is that the oil/wax concentrate is really runny, like a watery substance. Are there any helpful hints to try to solidify my watery like concentrate?.... ive tried to freeze it and it wont freeze. Please help

1. Brad Martin

You still have a bunch of iso in your oil, let it sit out for a few days, judging that you don't have a vaccum oven since you used seeds and stems to make your oil use low heat with a fan for a long time and it will solidify, if you went too high of a purge temp then you are stuck with that

16. ericjgood

Thank you for this entry level tutorial. I found it to be very informative and extremely well written. A real pleasure to read.

17. researchlab

If you take dried coconut, not from a bag it has additives. Grind coconut and material to a fine powder. Put this in your butane extraction device. This produces an edible that will stay in a liquid form. The process binds the oils together and makes a potent cocktail. Try it you will like it.

18. robert gullatt

Forgot a couple of details about the thermos method :(. How long do you freeze the material pre-soak, and how long should the first soak be? I want to say 24 hours, and 30 mins, but just want to be sure.

19. DeliDabs

I don't get the milky white until I either leave it out out use heat to cook down. I did a very big run. What I did is I took a few ozs of already processed oil and redisolved into the ever clear. I actually separated a few Pyrex dishes and did cook downs in different way and each one came the same basically. When I used heat to cook down I got a lot of "oil" on the bottom and milk on top when I used fan I got a dry milk and oil mixture and when I used a inline fanned room that creates negative pressure it was the same milk chalk. When I'm leaving in the Pyrex it starts a beautiful gold then turns milk. So your saying just let the milk and let it keep going? I separated some of the "oil" at the bottom of the milk and put in the oven and let go it looked like it was reacting idk if it was just under pressure or actually helping some of the h2o evaporate

1. MylkingTreez (@TreezMylked)

Sounds like a moisture issue. Let it evaporate off in a climate with low humidity.A/C controlled room/home is fine. A pie plate full, @ a1/32" or less thick, takes about 24 hrs before it starts to turn. Then for total clarity, a week or so. My drying room is at 75*@ 35% humidity. What happens is the oil gets a "film" if you will, across the top of the extraction. Thus locking in the H2O and Ethanol. Remember, what ever Ethanol was left in the extraction, also first picked up any water in the original product. Patients is a virtue in this practice. Set it on a shelf, walk away, come back in a week. You can always poke and prod.....but not much use. Also if your drying more than a 1/16" thick, it's going to take more time. The thinner its poured out, the faster it will "cure". Go to my Twitter, "MylkingTreez" I'll through up a pic of a small recent batch. About four days in to cure.

1. Mark Lee

I have a lot of surplus lab equipment that I am reusing for a host of applications, this being my favorite. I have found early in my evolving methods that placing the Pyrex pie plate/dish with the evaporating Ethanol & moisture-laden extract into a household frost-free freezer will remove all available moisture within 24 hours after winterizing removes almost all of the water ice. Now I have a mini vacuum centrifuge with 55 degree (C) heater that takes care of the final evaporation of moisture & solvent - it only takes 30 minutes to reduce the Ethanol rinse from the extract and the 2ml snap-top containers the centrifuge is built for are perfect "personal dose" packages. If you have access to surplus lab equipment, look for "evaporators" to reduce the extracts and "condensers" to recover your solvent. Since I have to drive from MA to VT to buy my grain alcohol, it is more convenient to reuse it rather than let it evaporate to the atmosphere - which is even more difficult in the humid New England summer.

20. DeliDabs

So I have run bho for a few years now and I'm just now starting to get to the refining game. I have been dewaxing with the mason jar and dry ice for a while but decided to try my hand at ever clear winterizing. I mixed it up let it sit and then froze it for about 36-40 hours. Then ran through my Büchner. When I went to cook it down on the skillet I was left with a milky white liquid on top of my "oil" what did k do wrong please help as I would like to master this tech!

1. MylkingTreez (@TreezMylked)

Oh Grasshopper...... You are on the correct path! The "milky White" is your oil, plus Ethanol, H2O. Place in a flat glass dish, and give it a few days and it will be golden and clear. I have done this quite some time(years), even after I rotovape 98% of Ethanol out, in order to pour it still needs to be fluid. So I pour into a 9" Pyrex pie plate. Run a fan, gently over the top. Within 24 hrs, you will see it starting to oil up! Let it go! Normally it takes a week, to ten days to be totally cured. APPLY NO HEAT! You will kill your product. Also you will notice a lack of flavor. It's in your Buchner Funnel filter paper! You can recapture them, but that's a whole different topic! So I hope this helps....... Keep asking those questions!!!,

2. MylkingTreez (@TreezMylked)

I read you "cooked it on a skillet" , that's a shame! How hot? How long? Over 180*F for just a few minutes, you now have RSO. Or if the heat was lower, but above 120*f, you may still get a buzz. If not, reheat to 180*f for 2-3 minutes, NOW you have RSO. When making Absolute (which is what you making) I never raise my temps above 70* , including the room I'm working in. Above 65-68* you start having degradation of your extract. First the terps(flavor), then with higher temps (178*f+)you convert THC to THCA. Great for consuming, not so much for smoking.

1. DeliDabs

I kept it at about 98 degrees for a few hours like 5. Until the whole liquid was milk and oil was on the bottom

2. Brad Martin

At higher Temps you actually convert the THC A or THC acids into THC by removing the carbon dioxide molecule by way of decarbing, at lower Temps the cannabinoids stay in their carboxylic acid forms and become shatter or without dewaxing a pull and snap

21. Kyle

Thanks guys for being pioneers and leading us in our journey :) I have a question for the thread...I am setting up my first big system. It is a closed loop system with active recovery system set up. I also went for the dewaxing sleeves on 2 different size columns, a 270g and a 1lb column with dewaxing. The system comes with the standard screen filters made of metal but for dewaxing do I need to drop a better filter in the bottom of the column such as 5-20 micron? Will the large pores of the metal screen let the fats, waxes, and lipids go right through even if chilled with dry ice and alcohol in the column?

22. Dabs - EricDunbar.com

[…] Shatter, and Wax, is actually a concentrated marijuana extract. Dabs the can be incorporated with e-cigarettes to take marijuana to a new level. To smoke Dabs, all you need is an e-cigarette, which can be […]

Join the conversation!