Error message here!

Hide Error message here!

Forgot your password?

Error message here!

Error message here!

Lost your password? Please enter your email address. You will receive a link to create a new password.

Error message here!

Back to log-in

Mom, Alzheimers and Cannabis

It is Skunk PharmResearch's policy to let patients tell their own story, but in the case of mom, as her daughter and 24/7 caregiver, I will speak for her.  She is in the late seventh and final stage of Alzheimer’s and would want her story told.

Mom was diagnosed as late stage six when she came to me from Seattle four years ago.  She was given six more months to live. She began displaying symptoms before 1998, but she wasn't diagnosed until 2001, following her first husband’s death.  It took that long to resolve other health issues and get her to a neurologist. Just the thought of Alzheimer's frightened her so, that we eventually had to trick her, to get her to a doctor for testing.   Once tested and diagnosed, they put her on Aricept, which brought back cognitive skills, with slow decline for the next seven years while my step brother cared for her in her own home.  Along with other western meds, this was her medical course. When Mom's Alzheimer's progressed to the point that she became combative and personal hygiene became an issue, my brother planned to put her in a nursing home, but I quit my job to look after her.  I moved her to Portland with me and took over her care, to focus on the quality of her remaining life. For five months prior to her arrival, I immersed myself into learning as much about Alzheimer's as possible, researching and joining The Alzheimer’s Association, as well as the Online Alzheimer's Support Group, spending as much time as possible conversing with patients and caregivers alike, to prepare myself for the task. When Mom arrived, besides being on five over the counter drugs, she was on three inhalers and a pill for asthma, blood pressure meds, allergy meds, anti psychotics that made her angry, anti seizure meds that made her delusional, plus three others I have no idea what they were used to combat. We got her an OMMP card immediately upon her arrival.  She had smoked cannabis recreationally with me for over thirty years, but never medically until she came toOregon. Cannabis was my only means of mitigating her despicable behavior (psychotic). For the rest of this article see: /alzheimers-mom-and-cannabis/

About The Author

Profile photo of skunkpharmresearch

This is the head cheese's account

Related posts

0 Comments

1. Dr.Tincture

Newbie here . I have been making Tincture for three years now and have using the hot extraction method for a year now. I have upgraded to a 22 quart Oster cooker and I use 3 gallons of Canola surrounding 3 quart jars filled with VG ,whole buds , trim , and past squeezed/pressed pucks. My question is .... I get my oil to 180 F ( holding at that temp ) and my jars do not get much above 160 F. This doesn't make sense to me !

2. Greg

How can an ejuice that works be made then? Connoisseur concentrates makes a solution that claims .3ml to 1gram concentrates. Holy terp makes pure, same. Which would presumably make a more potent ejuice than 1:1 liquidizers. Are terps any safer to vape than pg or peg? Does that e juice work? Seems No one is looking for the answers but consumers. Also if the concentrated isn't decarbed how can an ecig decarb it? It's not 400 deg like a flower vape is it? I plan to make 1g dry ice hash, then decarboxilate it. Then add CC .3ml. If it doesn't work last try. I've used wax liquidizer 2 times. But pg peg scares me. And it only kinda worked. More like if you were already lifted it would easily keep you up. But wouldn't really Lift you up on it's own. Hope Someone figures it out.

3. Jason L

Maybe try forming the "deep eutectic solvent" glyceline by mixing 1 mole of choline chloride or trimethylglycine with 2 moles of glycerol and heating/stirring for about 2 hours at about 80 C until a clear liquid is formed. It will be less viscous than glycerol and its solvent powers will be increased dramatically, like an extraction requiring less than 2 hours rather than days or months. It would be hard to recover the cannabinoids from the DES, other than by adding a lot of water, but it could be used as it, since choline chloride or trimethylglycine are non-toxic like glycerol. In fact it would probably aid in absorption. The deep eutectic solvents are similar to DMSO as solvents, polar aprotic. Adding water at 10-30% reduces polarity and makes it work better for most extractions. BTW menthol forms DES at room temperature with camphor and other substances, including various organic acids, lactic, pyruvic, lauric etc. I think a DES could be formed between menthol and THCA, making it a liquid at rt and more absorbable. Don't know if liquid THCA would be desirable or not, but should be possible at least. May have more medical benefit.

4. Patimah

If I do glycerin extraction using cold maceration for a week then, I want to centrifuge it. so, what suitable temperature and rpm should I use?

5. How To Make Cannabis Tincture/ e-Cig Juice (Quick Vegetable Glycerin Method): Cannabasics #29 –

[…] More reading: https://skunkpharmresearch.com/glycerin-extraction/ […]

6. Daniel Blue

I've had my VG?Flower mix sitting(shake twice daily) for 90days now. However,I failed to decard flower prior to mixing. Plan to sit an additional 90 days. Do I have to decarb or activate with an additional step or steps? If so do I perform a hot oil bath or what? answer is greatly appreciated. Will decard next batch prior to mixing.

7. How To Make Cannabis Tincture/ e-Cig Juice (Quick Vegetable Glycerin Method): Cannabasics #29 –

[…] More reading: https://skunkpharmresearch.com/glycerin-extraction/ […]

8. emac757

Shelf life is definitely limited. Iv had hot extracts that knocked your head of with 10 drops. Few weeks later, not so much. 2 months later, nada. Cannabinoid degradation is a study i would love tof read one day.

9. Rob

Good for baking? I had a ton and just baked up a batch with 125ml of glycerin tinc. Figured some may vape off at low temp. So again, is it a feasible option for brownies? What should I try for dosage?

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

You can cook with it. One problem to keep in mind with medibles is always the question of how many they are going to eat, which can change from planned if they are tasty and their will is weak. Determining dosage accurately would require analyzing it for THC content. WA state allows 10 mg THC per dose and 10 doses per package. GC

10. Savana

Thank you for this wonderful article! I have a question regarding THC extraction. Is THC able to be extracted with glycerin or ethanol? I ask because I read that THC is oil-soluble so I have always wondered how people extract the THC for (let's say) fruit juice. I have never tasted alcohol and felt glycerin would contribute a thickness to the finished product. I just don't see how an average joe is extracting enough THC without an oil-soluble medium. Thanks in advance!!

1. Gage Ridenour

THC is soluble in Fats and alcohols. The quote below gives you a brief description of why THC is soluble in Glycerin(because the fatty acid molecules are bound to carbon atoms in the Glycerin Molecule). Im assuming the same fatty acid molecules are found in other oils as well. For example One reason people use Coconut oil as opposed to canola oil is because of the fatty content of it. Compared to say vegetable oil which is at a liquid state at room temperature, coconut oil is a solid at room temp because of the fat content. "The carboxyl end of each fatty acid reacts with the hydroxyl group on each carbon atom of a glycerin molecule. This results in each fatty acid molecule being bound to a carbon atom in the glycerin molecule". In regards to your THC in fruit juice question--> Glycerin is water soluble. So once the THC is extracted (must be decarboxylated as well) into the fatty molecules of Glycerin, it can be directly added to anything like a juice or tea, as well as cooked with for most sweet recipes (I.E Gummies) Hope this helps brotha! Happy early 4/20, keep it hippppie!

11. Jay Thomas

Great article and research! Thanks for sharing. Regarding the Hot glycerin extraction, are there any benefits of doing this on the stove with oil (vegi oil I assume) vs the crock pot (wash cloth on bottom, jar on top then half filled water) for 24 hrs shaking every hr? Also if you had to pick a setting of simmer 185F or I could use warm setting 165F which would work better? really appreciate it =)

1. Gage Ridenour

The reason people use Vegetable Oil baths is because it more stable in regards to keeping temperature. The reason they say to heat to at least 180F is because this is the point at which cannabinoids become molten and are more easily/more quickly soluble. From my research I have found most people use a range of 180-220F when using the heating method for tinctures. I think the crockpot method would be fine, the only reason they use vegetable oil is solely for the stability compared to water! One plus of the stove top is that if you have a thermometer it is much more easy to keep the temperature where you want it :)

1. Jay Thomas

Thanks! Any idea how long the shelf- life before it starts to degrade? Is it true after a month? Made a bunch with your method above 50%/30%/8%/12% vg/pg/distilledwater/flavoring for vaping, came out great! Not sure how long it will last storing it though ;D

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

No, but extracting with VG doesn't produce a very exciting vape solution due to low concentration. GW

12. Tom

you said... "You can reduce the alcohol sting, by simply removing most of it. 50% concentrate in 50% 190 proof, cuts the alcohol potency in half." i use 2 ml tincture daily and cutting the burn would be such a blessing. i dont want to use heat to remove grain alcohol but i need to stay with 190 proof due to cost [cant afford three times as much just for good taste]. thank you in advance for your more detailed clarification of how to reduce alcohol sting... we all thank you.

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

You can naturally evaporate some of the alcohol away without heat, if you want less. 75% concentrate and 25% 190 proof is below sipping whiskey levels and about in the brandy range. Pour it in a pyrex pie plate, cover with a cloth to keep dust out, and the alcohol will leave all on its own. GW

13. Scott

Ive tried it exactly as you have suggesting atleast 10x. Maybe more!!! It simply does not work. I have decarbed before and after. I have tried 180, 190 and 200+ all different runs. I have tried it all! The VG absorbs some THC but it is very very little and comes across as more of a sleep-aid than anything. (and its not even good sleep aid).... I have tried cooking in veg oil and water. Nothing. crock potting/longer runs...No dice. Same ol weak garbage. VG is just too poor of a solvent to make this happen.

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Make what happen?? There are brothers and sisters who have been using glycerin tincture for more than a decade since I've been aware of it and swear by it. The question is how are you using it and what effects are you looking for??? If you are looking for pipe juice or a soaring euphoric high, you will be disappointed. The pipe juice won't be potent enough and your liver processes what you take orally and most test volunteers reported the effects as more of a feeling of relaxed well being. As far as a sleep aid, the right strain and dosage certainly could be. GW

1. Scott

A friend of mine has given me gummies/gum drops on a number of occasions. They are out of the world potent! Consistent as well in the dosing....... Extremely heady and energetic. I was convinced they were made with VG. Now after a number of trials i am thinking otherwise. If you can't make VG euphorically(is that a word) potent what in the hell is the baker making these gummies with ??? *They are delicious as well.

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Recipes vary, but he is most likely adding concentrate to his gummy bear mix. Here is a generic one from Wiki. The gelatin in the recipe will act as a menstruum for the concentrate. Except for the lozenges and cannapops, we backed off of making tasty medibles, because of the number of patients whom "couldn't eat just one", or two or three........, and ended up overdosing. Not life threatening, but definitely fun threatening, so except for the prestige, is a good thang to avoid. GW

1. Scott

I thank you for your response.... I know I am off topic now but could you provide a link or explain how one would dissolve wax into the gelatin. Just liquify the wax under heat and mix ? or add to a lipid or ? Last question i promise :)

2. Steve

For gummy bears Coconut Oil seems to work as better menstruum than gelatin. For folks who do processing, one of the biggest challenges with edibles, beverages, topicals, tinctures, etc is potency drift. We talked a client of ours, Neta Care, in Massachusetts into performing some potency analysis with their BHO extract Gummy Bears. They made two batches of gummy bears with coconut oil as the carrier. One batch was mixed with an industrial immersion mixer for one hour, the other batch was emulsified with the CAT X1000D homogenizer for one minute. Each batch made 50 gummy bears. 25 gummy bears from each batch were randomly selected and analyzed for potency deviation. The batch mixed with the industrial mixer for an hour, potency deviation of 65%. The batch emulsified with the homogenizer for one minute, potency deviation of 4%. Unfortunately, Neta Care is unwilling to share the analysis. They’re afraid if this information gets out to other processors they’ll lose the edge they have in the market. We are working with other processors who promise they'll share their potency deviation analysis. As soon as they make them available I'll post them. Steve, CAT Scientific

2. Nancy Not Botwin

Because VG doesn't reduce, you can't use it for gummy bears. I use an alcohol tincture (151 or 190 proof). And reduce it down (like molasses). Obviously don't do this over an open flame. Take 2 1/2 ounces (10 envelopes of 1/4g each) unflavored gelatin Mix with 12 oz of flavored gelatin to combine. Mix 1 cup of chilled fruit juice of your choice with 1/4 of honey or agave nectar. Then add the juice & agave to gelatin and whisk. Let sit for 20 minutes. After you reduce the tincture and almost all alcohol has evaporated, add 1/2 tbsp of flavor extract and 2tbsp of honey or agave to the pan. Swirl until it looks like molasses. Add the gelatin mixture to the pan, heat over medium until gelatin has melted. Pour into molds. You can dust them with powdered sugar after you pop em out to keep from being sticky. I've been following this recipe for years that hasn't steered me wrong, firms up in about an hour. Yields about 3.5-4 c of gelatin slurry. Fills my molds to make about 350 bears. Hope this works out for you.

14. Dlg

Ok that is what I thought. Thank you for your quick reply. One other question, is there anyway to tell if all of the cabinoids of have been extracted?

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

100% of the cannabinoids are in the trichomes. I judge when I have fully extracted material by looking for intact trichome heads under 100X magnification. When they're gone, I'm done. Don't worry about the stems, they will remain after the heads are gone. GW

15. Dlg

Regarding the hot method, you mention the cold method will fail to extract all the cabinoids from the plant and you need to repeat the method to get full potential strength. Is this the same for the hot method? Or does the thermal cycle take care of this?

16. Cody Hopkins

Thanks, it seems to be going well so far! I guess we won't know until the final step. I love the website, I just came across it recently. Any good links on knowledge for a first time grow? Thanks again!

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

You're welcome! Bon appetite! I'll let Joe and Carla answer the grow question, as it is in their areas of expertise! GW

17. Cody Hopkins

I'm just trying this for the first time. I have steam heat in my house and I am storing it near my radiator. Do you expect this to be helpful, harmful or have no effect?

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

I think it will work and the end result will be a faster extraction. The difference between a long cold extraction and a short hot one, is flavor. Cold extractions are like wild honey, in that the flavors dart off in all directions, because of the local mix of blossoms, while hot extractions are more like the flavor of a tasty soup combining them. GW

18. Alv

Pls don't bother. It simply will not work. Everyone reading this should give up on both pg and vg. It simply is not potent enough so don't waste your time. I know it's a great idea but it's only an idea. Someone should tell Ruffhouse to take down that video. It's super misleading. Utter BS even! Someone should post on the original post about this and stop wasting time of others. I'm glad I did it so I know how futile it is. Don't say I did not tell you beforehand!

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

I infer that you are speaking of a Vegetable Glycerine extract. For cold extract purists/aficionados, storing it a year in a cool dark place will do the trick and preserve the wild honey flavors. If you are in a hurry, stick a stainless container of the VG tincture in a 250F oil bath and watch the bubbles. Keep stirred so you can tell what is going on and when the CO2 bubble generation falls off suddenly, you are at about 70% decarboxylation and when it stops, you are at 100% decarboxylation. VG flash point is 160C/320F and the boiling point is 290C/554F, so is unaffected at 121C/250F. GC

1. Martha

Yes I'm referring to a VG tincture I made but forgot to decarboxylare the material prior to mixing it with the VG so I will try this method. Thanks

2. jkwilborn

The decarboxylation at 180F after it's been made seems a good choice over the oven method. I seem to think I need to know how long to maintain that temperature. Would you care to elaborate?

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

I would recommend hotter and faster. Here is the graph:https://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/ Normally I would say watch the bubbles to tell exactly what is going on, but at 180F the activity is slow and less obvious. GW

19. mike

If i Wanted to use Cannabis oil instead of flower as my material. Would you recommend emulsifying the cannabis oil in ethanol alcohol and then adding it to the vg to make it mix in well? What would be your best way of going about making it with decarbed cannabis oil? Thanks

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Even mixing it with ethanol to facilitate mixing, some of the constituents will still precipitate out of solution, so the best way we've found to maximize cannabis essential oil suspension in VG, is to emulsify it. https://skunkpharmresearch.com/game-changer-emulsifying-vegetable-glycerin-and-bho-for-e-juice/ GW

20. emac757

Defintely skip the EJmix or anything comparable. All garbage imo. Iv tried it all and using the one set of lungs we are given to test vaped plastic is not where its at. Flavrx makes a GSC cart that hits harder then anything Iv ever had. Its a terpene infused distillate that is highly effective after 1 low voltage (3.7) hit. Aside from that, dont waste countless grams of extract trying it at home unless you have an endless low cost supply.

21. emac757

The internet can be a powerful tool for furthing ones knowledge prior to asking questions. QWET- Quick Wash EThanol SCFE- Sub Critical Fluid Extraction CO2 - Carbon Dioxcide GW- The one and only graywolf OG!!!

1. ganjagrynch

Start with a pure extract in the form mentioned above and then add either an emulsifier like EjMix or get pure monoterpenes to reduce viscosity (make it thinner). EjMix does have something of a plastic taste especially if used at higher ratios than 1:1. Monoterpenes are expensive and will give your juice a citrus or pine flavor. There are products out there that use a mix of terpenes and claim to replicate well known strains. That's the only way I know to get truly potent ejuice from cannabis

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

SCFE could also be Super Critical Fluid Extraction. The world is probably isn't ready for another Tattered Old Graywolf, but GW could also be GW Pharmaceutical! LD-50 Rat means 50% of the rats died at that dosage and PEL means Permitted Exposure Limit. TLV is Threshold Limit Value and OW means Oh Wow, with OMG meaning Oh My Gawd! GW

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

It can be made a number of different ways, some more expensive than others. A denatured QWET is a less expensive way to make one from ground zero, and probably SCFE CO2 the other end of the scale, requiring more volume to achieve an attractive ROI. GW

1. Dale Robinson

What do these abbreviations means? Sorry if it's a silly question just I'm still trying to get to grips with all this.

22. Dale Robinson

I've bought the mighty fast herbal infuser, anyone know if it's any good I'm waiting for it to come and how to you make e liquid with it??

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

I predict you won't be happy with the results making e-juice. You can never approach the potency extracting with a non reducible solvent, that you mixing it with the solvent, because as the solvent becomes more saturated, it becomes less of a solvent and less able to dissolve more solute. GW GW

1. Dale Robinson

Why wonthe I be happy with the results? Am I wasting my money buying this. I just want to be able to make the best possible e juice I can. What do you suggest??

1. Dale Robinson

Hi again if I used the cold process to make my eliquid would it be best to decarb the weed before putting it inow the jar or decarb once I've made the juice? Can you help please.

2. Arfuitis

Soaking 1-2 grams of finely chopped (but not too fine) potent decarboxilated weed with 10-15ml of glycerin, leaving it sit for 30 days, or heating it at 140 degrees centigrade for 2 hours every day for a fortnight should make some decent juice. It may take a few hits to get the desired effect. When I made it I let it sit for 30 days and heated it irregularly at between 70 - 120 degrees centigrade. The combination of the two seems to work really well but overheating it can be counterproductive. To increase potency increase the weed to glycerine ratio and amount. If you can afford it I'd suggest mixing 50ml of glycerin with 7-14 grams of quality nuggs. Mixing a mil or 2 of 100% alcohol may help with the extraction, i suggested 2 mil because ethanol produces more of a harsh vapor and I don't know how safe/unsafe vaping ethanol is. You could heat it up to have your e-juice made faster but the longer you wait, the better the flavor is awesome, and the effect was rather surprising. I don't understand the naysayers claiming glycerin is ineffective for vaping. I guess their objective is to get baked over just pleasantly buzzed. I suppose they were too impatient and didn't give the glycerin and cannabanoids time to coales

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Some of the naysayers tolerance is high, because they are medical patients taking oral concentrates as well, and not noticing even a pleasant buzz. The fish trap exists only because of the fish and it is true that not everyone covets the same fish, so it is a individualized choice, dependent not only on tolerance, but as you note, based on the medical properties that you seek. GW

2. Mike

Do you have a conversion ratio of trim to bud weights? I ve used a 2:1 trim to bud ratio from an old cooking oil recipe, and Im not sure if thats correct.it seems by adding more plant matter,but using the same amount of vg,it may not be enough vg.i wonder what the difference is in the amounts used,as in A)volume of material by weight and B) potency of bud compared to close trim. Thanks very much for your sharing and support of our incredible gift of our ladies.

23. emac757

Cannabinoid distillate is really the only potent vape juice. I've had some luck with using a little bit of PEG to keep a winterized extract separated then adding 150° VG and whipping it with my CAT scientific emulsifier. But then you have adding liquid plastic to your mix which I don't trust, food grade or not. Terpene infused distillate is really the only pleasurable vape juice iv experienced thus far ie Flavrx GSC carts give great medication with 1 average hit with a great taste. Aside from that, I can't honestly say what's left as a viable method. Best of luck.

24. Alvin

Did anyone manage to make potent ecig juice with VG? I don't mean mixing VG and already extracted oil. I mean using VG as solvent like the above? I followed the Ruffhouse video and did not get anything potent enough. Or is it my tolerance? I even changed it up and only used the oil from first 2 washes. Still nothing significant. Any advice? I do not wish to use the RSO method because it will separate and is very messy with mixed with VG. My main goal is a potent vape liquid. Can anyone help?

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Not that I'm aware of. Even emulsifying VG and cannabis Absolute, we weren't able to achieve a 50/50 blend. GW

1. EstablishedPilot

Wanted to post because I noticed you're relatively active in replying. I'm interested in making ejuice with VG and flower. What is the best approach? Making some kind of concentrate and then dissolving in VG, or do you recommend the RuffHouse video (which brought me here by the way) method? It seems like you are suggesting that trying to use VG as the solvent itself is not as viable. So would making something like a QWISO be effective?

2. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

Actually, I prefer to not use VG/PG/PEG as a carrier solvent, because it is something else the lungs have to expectorate, and our Pharm D brain trust has reservations about the long term effects. I also have never had a e-juice hit remotely comparing to a dab off a nail, so either use a skillet instead of a cart, or use a cart of decarboxylated Absolute or Clear. Locally, Clear cart producers are adding monoterpenes for aroma and flavor, which also serves as a solvent to make the concentrate flow. GW

3. andrew

yes - using this it's easy as and supurb results - used vg/pg 50/50 mix from vape shop, 1 oz herbs, flavouring - https://magicalbutter.com/

4. Arfuitis

Soaking 1-2 grams of finely chopped (but not too fine) potent decarboxilated weed with 10-15ml of 100% vegetable glycerin, leaving it sit for 30 days, or heating it at 140 degrees centigrade for 2 hours every day for a fortnight should make some decent juice. It may take a few hits to get the desired effect. When I made it I let it sit for 30 days and heated it irregularly at between 70 – 120 degrees centigrade. The combination of the two seems to work really well but overheating it can be counterproductive. To increase potency increase the weed to glycerine ratio and amount. If you can afford it I’d suggest mixing 50ml of glycerin with 7-14 grams of quality nuggs. Mixing a mil or 2 of 100% alcohol may help with the extraction, i suggested 2 mil because ethanol produces more of a harsh vapor and I don’t know how safe/unsafe vaping ethanol is. You could heat it up to have your e-juice made faster but the longer you wait, the better the flavor is awesome, and the effect was rather surprising. I don’t understand the naysayers claiming glycerin is ineffective for vaping. I guess their objective is to get baked over just pleasantly buzzed. I suppose they were too impatient and didn’t give the glycerin and cannabanoids time to coalesce

25. Dale Robinson

Hi I'm looking to make my first ever batch of thc tincture 😆 can anyone help suggest what is the best method to start with? I'm new to all this and seen so much different information that's it's pickled my head haha 😂

1. Scott

All this info would be amazing if it worked! I have tried this process 15 times.....Exactly following the directions. It simply does not work.

26. Benito Cgognito

Hi =) Fantastic article so thank you. I came here via RuffHouse Studios youtube video, Cannabasics #29, which referenced your blog. My question is, if I intend to solely vaporize this VG tincture in an E-cig, is it necessary for me to decarboxylate the finished product (or the plant material prior) in order to activate the THC? Given that it is heated during vaping... Thanks in advance of your response. Benny

1. Skunk Pharm Research,LLC

It's not necessary to decarboxylate, but you can't make a very potent e-juice solution extracting with VG, because you'll never get much higher than about 30%. E-juice is typically a mix of VG/PG/PEG and the concentrate is dissolved in it, instead of extracted with it. This article is oriented toward those taking glycerin extracts orally. GW

27. Craig Steffen

This is the Information we needed to confirm what we learned thru research and experience in the processing of this marvelous plant.

28. clover

Hello Skunk Pharm team, Firstly, this guide is extremely well-written with intricate, factual details. Spot on guys. I am very interested in using the Heat Extraction method. However, I can't seem to find the specific ratios of material to use in this guideline (nor the comments but I didn't look too hard, 410+ posts). So I went on a few websites to get some anectodal perspectives. So the following estimated numbers in this list may be wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong: - 1 Litre of Vegetable Glycerine - 1 Ounce of Medium-Quality Bud - 3 ml of Flavouring per 30 ml/Dropper Bottle .... Anything else I am missing? Other questions I had: 1. To add flavouring, do we require proof grain alcohol? And even if we choose to not add flavouring, the VG and dry material is all that is mixed? I re-read the guide many times so if I missed anything that would be embarrassing lol. 2. Can another alternative for heating be an electric heating table? (goo.gl/MGjaAe). I would think that the hot oil surrounding the jar of material and VG in the Crockpot would offer more points of thermal heating than the table. Pros for the table however, is that there would be no need for oil (saves $$) and it could fit more jars. But I'd rather do what is more successful, so what do you think? 3. To confirm the thermal cycling process: After 30 minutes of stirring at 180F (82C), we take the jar out, let it cool to room temperature (say, 5-10 mins), and repeat 5 more times? 4. To confirm the potency method: After the thermal cycling process and the first press has been completed, I put the material that was just pressed back in the jar, along with fresh glycerine and bud, and start cycling again? 6 times for thermal process again? This should cover it. Thank you so much and once again, great job on the post. Skunk Pharm has much of my respect. Take care.

29. JJ

I read somewhere that if you are making a cannabis glycerite to vape, you will need to add water. The ratio of water to glycerin should be around 1 to 3. Should I add the water at the completion of making the glycerite or before starting when I am first adding the glycerine with the cannabis? Thank you.

Join the conversation!