A Visit to Eden Labs

Lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu!!!!!!!!!!!1  What a fun time in Seattle!  Not only were we able to visit a first class grow and formulation operation, but got a world class tour of Eden Labs while we were there.

Set up by Patrick, whom we met at one of our BHO classes, with the master’s touch provided by Fritz, the original founder.

Hee, hee, hee, got to see their latest creation, as well as their original test sled, which they continue to use for internal projects, in addition to some R&D brain farts awaiting time to finish.

The device receiving finishing touches, was equipped to extract with either SCFE CO2 or liquid gases like butane and propane, and included one of Fritz’s latest epiphanies to simplify loading and unloading.  He has replaced the 12 bolt circle flange closure, with a spin on closure, using a tapered fit, that would redirect the blast from a blown o-ring, so that it wasn’t a hazard.  I’m guessing that he will apply for patent, if he hasn’t already, because it is so slick.

A purdy all stainless thang, professionally laid out and appointed, using pneumatic intensifiers for both solvent recovery, and for pressurizing the SCFE system.

Heating and cooling is via water jacket, the temperature of which is controlled by a commercial heater/chiller.

Always a pleasure and mind expanding to see how the pros do it, cause they always seem to take my own simple mind  new places!

1. Hey Skunk Pharm, just recently ordered the big machine, 20L at 1,500psi from Apekssupercritical that carried a $109,000+ price tag and will be set up in Spokane, WA upon receipt. Do you ever make it over to the other side of the state? We can run 12 pounds per batch per day and kick out up to 3lbs of extract per day. Would love to have you over if you’d like to see a high-end/high-volume machine in action.

2. Posted by Chris on September 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

They spend all that time and money and I still get better test results than them. I attribute that ability to Skunk Pharms.
    Thank you.

3. Posted by Father Earth on September 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM

sign me up !🙂

Hey GW whats with the Tube Ads? Got bills to pay? Ill click it a few more times if so….watched it thinking I was going to see a Eden labs tour ;(

4. Posted by Coyotee on August 26, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Yes, meeting Patrick was intriguing! Oh the people you meet at SPR classes. Glad you got to follow up, GW! I will def. take him up on his offer when in the area!!
    Long Live The Shack!

5. Posted by Hamilton Foro on August 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Also, the tapered flange connection is nothing new. It has been in the petroleum industry for a long time. All of the high pressure connections are taken straight from other industries. I don’t see him getting a new patent on old technology!

6. Posted by George Regis on August 23, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Sounds like a great trip JD…Always good to take the mind new places! Ha ha.. Eden labs is innovative and has some great products.
    Regards, ~George Regis

7. Posted by Dragon Mack on August 23, 2013 at 10:57 AM

That is awesome GW. I have been reviewing there website for awhile. Very interested in SFE-CO2. They have beautiful machines. Still pretty pricey.

Looking forward to the day when there is more information being shared regarding the ideal extraction parameters to achieve different results with this process.
    There are very few CO2 extractions in my area that I have been able to try. None of them came close to the flavor that I have experienced in BHO extractions, but I imagine that will come as they refine the process in this area.

Have the best results for cannabis extractions come using supercritical, or subcritical CO2? I remember reading information in a couple places saying that better results of flavor and smell tend to come from subcritical. Curious if you have heard any more regarding this.

Looking forward to seeing how the mind expanding visit sparks ideas regarding the “Affordable DIYco2 extraction” project. Keep up the great work at Skunk Pharm Research, and as always thank you for sharing.

• Yeah, their machines are gorgeous to an fellow designer, and the one we were looking at was around $60K, plus bells and whistles. We discussed the possibility of smaller lab units in the future and I saw an interesting cold finger CO2 R&D unit, but Fritz complained of the same thing I suffer from, and that is too many projects and too little time, so I don’t have any ideas about schedule.

I’ve gotten reports of elaborate processes ranging to 9500 psi, but as near as I can tell, 3500 psi and under is the most common operating range. I’ve heard as low as 800 psi, and Fritz passed on the insight that chlorophyll pickup increases with pressure and lower pressure extractions do a better job of extracting the lighter floral terpenes.

8. Darn! Please let me know when you’re coming to seattle next! I’d love to have you out to tour our test lab and extraction facility!

9. Posted by ron on August 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Can’t wait to see what your “simple” mind comes up with, are these the people who helped write the Washington State MJ law pertaining to butane utilization?