CANNABINOID CARBOXYLIC ACIDS THCA AND CBDA: THEIR POTENTIAL FUNCTIONS, APPLICATIONS, AND METHODS OF EXTRACTION

Wowza!  Check out what Dr Kate has been up to!

Introduction to a cold extraction method for hash oil that preserves carboxylic acid form of cannabinoids THC and CBD

By Kate Welch, Pharm.D

1. Posted by Nick on May 27, 2016 at 3:30 PM

Great article, thank you. I have long wondered who complete decarboxylation is when smoking dried plant material, so I found this particularly interesting: “Furthermore, lab analysis of this decarboxylation reaction provides estimates that smoking cannabis yields approximately a 30% conversion of THCA to active THC.” I’ve been playing around for close to a decade with extended dry aging in jars monitored with humidistats. I’ve come to the conclusion that peak potency is reached at around six to eight months from harvest. I’ve taken to making my hash oil (cold isopropyl extraction) at month eight for best potency. Since the chlorophyll has mostly broken down at this point, I can do longer soak times than is usually recommended.

2. Posted by miah on February 27, 2016 at 12:09 AM

I noticed the testing info in here and thought it may be somewhat appropriate to ask in here if you could provide any help with Abs/Conc. data to help me build the calibration tables for my new and 1st spectrometer, sm1100 case anyone’s interested, I can only find molar absorbtion and wavelengths, any help???

3. Given that there were about 10000mg THCA in kief (rough estimate for 33g of 200micron), how much was captured in the final solution and did you test or weigh the filtrate?

4. Posted by Blake Pearce on February 3, 2016 at 11:15 AM

Excellent information. Did I understand correctly? IF injesting a juiced form of fresh plant material your metabolites will not show a positive on the drug tests currently being used? You did not comment directly on this aspect, I realize. This would be a plus for those in industry ( e.g.. railroaders) who are subject to testing. Getting the benefits without impairment is a major plus. I was forced to use anti-inflammatories (for osteo-arthritis) while on the job and my stomach is compromised. This type of insight has huge implications for the workplace. Thanks for a well written and documented piece.

• Hi Blake: While the fresh cannabis plant contains more THCA than THC, it DOES contain some THC, which can convert into the form that most drug tests screen for after ingestion. Whether it is in an amount detectable by these tests depends both on the sensitivity of the test, and the frequency and dose of the ingestion of the fresh plant. More research is needed. In the meantime, I’d recommend that consumers of the fresh leaf juice or cold extractions experiment with home urine testing kits.

Dr. Kate

5. Posted by Chonkski on January 31, 2016 at 8:10 PM

Wowza is right! Thank you very much SPR and Dr. Kate. So much gratitude towards you all.

6. Posted by Marc Maza on January 31, 2016 at 5:37 AM

Great article Dr. Kate, I can’t say, “thank you,” enough from all medical and non medical folks. Skunkpharm, you are such great and wonderful people, much love and keep up the great work! Woot Woot

• Thanks for the good thoughts brother MM! I agree wholeheartedly and continue to be impressed with the masterful quality of her work!

We at Skunk Pharm Research feel privileged to have enjoyed her professional insight on many of our own projects, as well as to be able to post her work!

GW