Why pharma companies are fighting legal marijuana

Copied from the Washington Post

One striking chart shows why pharma companies are fighting legal marijuana

There’s a body of research showing that painkiller abuse and overdose are lower in states with medical marijuana laws. These studies have generally assumed that when medical marijuana is available, pain patients are increasingly choosing pot over powerful and deadly prescription narcotics. But that’s always been just an assumption.

Now a new study, released in the journal Health Affairs, validates these findings by providing clear evidence of a missing link in the causal chain running from medical marijuana to falling overdoses. Ashley and W. David Bradford, a daughter-father pair of researchers at the University of Georgia, scoured the database of all prescription drugs paid for under Medicare Part D from 2010 to 2013.

They found that, in the 17 states with a medical-marijuana law in place by 2013, prescriptions for painkillers and other classes of drugs fell sharply compared with states that did not have a medical-marijuana law. The drops were quite significant: In medical-marijuana states, the average doctor prescribed 265 fewer doses of antidepressants each year, 486 fewer doses of seizure medication, 541 fewer anti-nausea doses and 562 fewer doses of anti-anxiety medication.

But most strikingly, the typical physician in a medical-marijuana state prescribed 1,826 fewer doses of painkillers in a given year.

The rest of the article is at:

1. Posted by DaveS on August 19, 2016 at 9:06 PM

Here’s the full article (the original link is only to the Abstract):

2. Posted by tas on August 12, 2016 at 2:52 PM

look at meth use going down in weed friendly states

3. Posted by redturtle984 on July 20, 2016 at 4:53 AM

God is perfect, man is not.
    Man made liquor, God made pot

4. Posted by Kim A. Brolutti on July 19, 2016 at 12:44 PM

Being a cannabis advocate and lobbyist I applaud that these studies are now being performed.The study above is a great beginning.In my oppinion this study is somwhat scwewer as during the same time period as cannabis prohabition is lifted the Fed anounced that medical proffesionals were prescribing to many pain medications.For those of you some what younger In 1992 the Fed had said we were not medicating pain patient enough, a fact always excluded.

As many of us know this led to all restricting prescribing healthcare professionals from writing those opioid medication.I have been a long time critic of the way persons are taken off these medications,not the decreasing of said medications.

In lies the part that is being ignored in the cannabis, not he federal,community may be failing to recognise

Please all .DON”T get me wrong Like I said I am a private citizen who chooses to go to Washington D.C. and lobby for our effort. I just fell all aspects should be considered when analyzing these studies.
    A cannabis friend

• Posted by redturtle984 on July 24, 2016 at 2:47 PM

As far as I know he government relies on RAND corporation to inform it of all matters that can be studied. They have for many many years. Wiki has a good article on those jewels of Democracy…

If you read RAND type govt studies, when the required conclusions and the data do not match, RAND performs “Complex Matrix Scaling” mathematics to the equation. They always include this fact in the preambble to certain studies, although it is unclear if the preamble of a govt RAND study has ever been read on the nighty news or not.

What that unfathomable matrix gadget exactly is (beyond horse manure) , nobody could possibly know. Do you? These studies are paid for by America at RAND, and I am betting that even President Obama can’t really give you a good idea of what that nonsense is. It simply means that they change the data until it fits their predictions. Then they tell you tthey do it in a way that nobody understands. Nice gig.

I live in Oregon and grew up on the edge of a reservation. I was not raised in a Christian tradition, and I adopted a way of thinking native to my region. Knowledge here has been pased down by those who live here to one another. It is careful and methodical in the culture to pass down hard won knowledge to each generation in turn. It is built into the culture, and my proof is that we were among the first Americans formed in a State that told the men in Washington DC politely to go to hell and leave our sick people alone if they use this medicine.

Studies are are well and fine but I trust my gut as to what is right for me. I have faith in my instincts and no belief in moral judgement. My heart is glad that the Journal of Somebody Elses Medicine validates my gut feeling.

I am going to vaporize a bit and try some of that complex mattix transformational thinking. Its worth a shot! RAND makes a gazillion dollars doing it and I am betting behind closed doors they are all just a bunch of hippie stoners that makes it all up…

5. Posted by redturtle984 on July 18, 2016 at 2:29 PM

I am betting that alcoholism rates are much lower too. Alcohol is great at relieving anxiety but obviously destroys health when used for chronic anxiety. Reduced alcoholism rates lower the doctor bill for everyone in a country that requires all to pay for healthcare.